Monday, July 27, 2009

Sob Sob

Question: What do you get when you have 6 children attending five different schools?
Answer: a bunch of "fisrt day of school" days.

So today was the first, first day. D5 headed off this morning. First days don't usually bother me, in fact, if it doesn't make me sound like a bad mom, I enjoy the first day. This year however something happened. I don't know what it was; maybe it was the fact that she is in 4th grade today. Maybe it was she got herself ready almost entirely by herself this morning (I did help a little with the hair.) Maybe its because she looked so big as we bought her new clothes. Maybe it was because she wanted a bag this year instead of a back pack. Maybe because as soon as we got to the school she ran off to see all her friends. Maybe its because she is the last one to attend elementry and she is doing it all by herself; or maybe, just maybe its because I am feeling old as I watch my litle girl, my baby walk in to class and I wonder how long it will be before she doesn't need me anymore. Whatever it was, today wasn't a usual first day of school, it wasn't one I enjoyed.









But then I came home to find 5 teenagers, in various stages of wakefulness, a messy house, a blaring TV and the shower going. Maybe first days of school are not that bad. I think I will survive.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Ugh, heartstrings! These are the parts of parenthood no one prepares us for!

Warner Family said...

She does look to grown up. Maybe you are just a better mom then you think. I am sure that is what it is.